Saturday, July 14, 2012

Ghalib : Ghazal 1 ~

(Hazaaron khwaahishen aisee ki har khwaahish pe dam nikle)


A thousand desires I had, each enough to take my breath;
Many longings were fulfilled, still these were not enough.

Adam was driven from paradise: I've long heard that tale;
A far more worse disgrace has been my exit from your lane.

I'll help if one wants a letter to be written to her,
For, since morn, I have been roaming with a pen on my ear.

When I expect that someone will show sympathy for my plight,
He turns out to be more wounded by the blade of misfortune.

O preacher, for God's sake, don't lift the curtain of Kaaba,
Or else the same non-believing idol may appear there too.

Where's the door of tavern, Ghalib? What has the priest to do with it?
This much I know that yesterday as I came out, he entered it!
...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home